Wednesday, February 6, 2013

My Very Own Groundhog Day

6:15. Obnoxious beeping sounds replaces the previous silence in my bedroom, my sanctuary. Groaning, I try to convince myself to get out of bed. But a voice in my head rationalizes, you really do not need all that time, so I snuggle deeply into the warm covers. 6:40. I pull my phone closer to my face to double-check the time. With my blind-as-a-bat eyesight, I end up with the phone an inch away from my face. I finally accept that I do need to get up for real this time. I fumble in the dark for my glasses and minutes later emerge from my room into the blinding, bright hallway with lights that burn my eyes. I wince before mustering up the energy to yell five feet away to my brother’s room.

“GET UUUUUUUP!!!”
Once I hear a startled yelp from inside his room, I leave, satisfied, and continue with my morning rituals, which includes screaming up the stairs every five minutes to remind my brother that he needs to get ready. As the clock changes to 7:10, I yell up the stairs for him to come down because I am ready to leave. A groan like a slumbering bear awakened too early from hibernation comes from his room and I realize he still lies within the comforts of his bed. Resentment builds up within me, a volcano ready to explode and destroy all those in the area. Taking deep breaths, I calm myself, waiting for the sound of him thumping down the stairs. Instead, the sound of the shower starting drifts down from the second floor. Breathe in. Breathe out. If you killed him, everyone would know it was you, I remind myself. Finally, we tear out of the house at 7:28. By this time, I am in the middle of a full-blown anxiety attack. Of course, I get stuck right behind a little old man who drives at least ten mph under the speed limit. I dump out the contents of my lunch and breathe deeply into the brown paper bag to control my hyperventilating. You will never make it to school on time. Cars line up in front of the high school, stretching on for miles. Finally, the Red Sea parts and I glimpse the senior parking lot ahead. Sliding across the icy ground towards one of the last spots, I spin the car into the open space, hoping that with the snow-covered ground no one will really know if I park within the lines… or in an actual spot. Every day without fail the same routine happens, as though I am stuck in my own version of the movie Groundhog Day.

2 comments:

  1. If you glance at my blog, you will see that I suffer much the same problem with my own sister, no matter the situation. Most frustrating, I believe, remain the Saturday mornings when we must rise at seven am to make it to rehearsal at nine. The drive, a far one, takes me almost forty minutes, and my weekend starts in panic each time she wakes at ten til eight. We leave late, and since I drive like the old man in front of you, my hands grip the steering wheel with white knuckles the entire way to the Cleveland Institute of Music. I sympathize completely. I advise you to invest in a pair of amplifiers, conveniently in his room, into which you plug your iPod each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I read about your daily morning routine, I realized how unpleasant and annoying it must seem to have to deal with someone so apathetic about making it to school in a timely manner. If I were a nicer person, I would deal with the same issue with my own sister; however, I make my own rules. If she does not get ready by the time I want to leave, I force her to take the bus. A simple solution to an persistent and nagging problem. She harbors a deep hatred toward the bus, as most teenagers do, so this method has proven very effective in getting her out of bed and ready in the mornings.

    ReplyDelete